Friday, January 13, 2012

Standing


Right now, as I type this, Adelaide is strapped into her car seat, in her bedroom, napping.This is not because I'm overly protective and want her to be safe in the event of an earthquake, but because she has declared war on laying down. On Christmas day, with her extended family cheering her on, she climbed up a chair, rung by rung, until she was proudly standing, holding on to the seat. Since then, she feels she must always stand, and never lay down.


In the pre-standing days, I would put her in her crib, and she would cry for about 3 minutes or less and then fall fast asleep. Now, during that three minutes she stands up in her crib. She doesn't know how to get down, and even if she did, she would not want to lay down, it's against her principles. She gets so tired, but each time I lay her down, she pops back up. Today on the 8th attempt to get her to sleep, I held her and rocked her until she fell asleep. I slowwwwwwwwly and carefully set her in her crib and the moment she touched the mattress, she began wailing and seconds later standing. Finally, I resorted to the car seat and she amazingly fell to sleep immediately, once standing was not an option.

She's been waking up each morning at 4:00 and standing up. Punctuality is very important to her (today she actually arrived 15 minutes early for her 4:00 appointment). Fortunately, she eats and falls asleep pretty easily after her first breakfast. So yes, her sleeping is better, but I have had very very few nights of uninterrupted sleep in the past 9.5 months, so I'm ready for a nap myself. Actually, I don't think that's going to happen just yet, because my little stander is now awake!

Later!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment