Monday, August 29, 2011

On Getting Out of the House

Before having a baby, I already had trouble getting out of the door, but since baby, it's gotten exponentially harder. Before Adelaide was born I would inevitably be pulling out of the driveway a few minutes late for work with slightly wet hair and mildly frayed nerves. About two blocks from home, I'd realize I forgot my phone and tell myself I can live with out it. About 3 blocks from home, I'd realize I forgot to eat breakfast and mentally contrive a plan to get some food between morning appointments. In another block, I realized I don't have my work keys, and that I have to go back home to get them. I want to call work and let them know I'm on my way, but shoot... no phone. The digital clock in my car was never set correctly, so I gauged my lateness by my location when The Current (radio station) started talking about "Today in Music History." Did I mention I'm not a morning person?

Yesterday I was trying to get to a bridal shower- but was having similar issues. Before I could go to the shower, I needed to buy a gift, but before I could buy a gift, I needed to find my wallet. Also, a friend agreed to watch Adelaide while I was gone, so I needed to pack a diaper bag. Most moms of the organized sort would already have this sort of thing taken care of, but after being out of town for a week, my supplies were seriously depleted. Finally, I put Adelaide and her stroller (so we could go shopping for the gift) in the car, and I had to get the dog in the house. Of course he decided to 'play dead' which, by the way, he's never done before. Try as I may, I couldn't coax him inside, so I scooped up all 30 lbs of his "dead weight" and plopped him in his kennel. I then realized the baby needed to be fed and changed again and I was running seriously behind at this point. Once on the road, I took a few wrong turns on the way to and from the mall- probably just because I was trying to hard. And another thing... why do they make car seats that weigh so dang much? Had I known I would be hauling around something as heavy and awkward as an old console TV, I would have trained or something. I have a new understanding for moms who don't leave the house very often!

We survived it though- so here's to another outing today, to the grocery store (God help us!).

3 comments:

  1. Lol, just wait until you have more than one child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... I knew someone was going to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you posted this a while ago... but I found it very funny on this early Saturday morning... You dog played dead- isn't that how it seems to go sometimes? I don't have kids (yet) but I'm a nanny... and getting the two kids and me out of the house is a PROCESS. I always feel a renewed sense of appreciations for moms when the three of us successfully drive away from the house for an outing. :)

    ReplyDelete